Alex Syberia Design | February 2020 Release | Clematis

HEY THERE. THE FOLLOWING ORIGINALLY APPEARED ON FEBRUARY 15th, 2020 AS A GUEST POST IN Alex Syberia’s blog.

Guest Designer – Enna Adams

Thanks so much for joining me today on my very first blog post. It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of Alex’s work and her lovely persona, so the fact that I am on her blog makes me just a bit giddy with gratefulness.

Being one of the last amongst her guest designers to join her for this release, I felt that I needed to step out of the box a bit. After all, you’ve seen her lovely digis colored a bunch of different ways by now by a bunch of artists that have much more talent than I do.  Actually, stepping out of the box is my norm.  Heck, most of the time, I don’t even know where the box is, let alone how to stay in it! Luckily, Alex is one of only a few digi artists that supports our showcasing different ideas and taking snippets of one digi and adding it to another, etc.  Still, I try to get her approval before I ever post any edited versions of her digis on social media.

Combining Digis into a Card

To start, rather than printing a whole design, I used Photoshop Elements (can’t afford real Photoshop! 😆) to isolate only one of the flowers from Alex’s Clematis digi stamp. Since I knew I wanted to have multiple flowers on my card, I proceeded to fill the flower’s petals with white while leaving the background blank.  Taking the time to do this allows me to place one flower in front of the other without the lines of the flowers overlapping.  I saved the changes that I made to the single flower, since it’s simple digital masking that I can use and resize over and over again.  I then copied that flower clipping and resized and rotated it until I had 2 facing flowers.  Having placed both flowers to my liking, I then also clipped apart 3 of the bajillion butterflies included in the Adore You set and placed them randomly around the flowers, resizing and rotating them as needed.  I printed the completed scene on a 5×7 piece of Strathmore 300 Bristol Smooth.  I also printed it on a piece of Avery Removable ID Labels (6465), so that I can cut out the flowers and butterfly bodies to use as masks while I ink blended the sky with Distress Oxide inks.  Once done, I removed the masks and colored both the flowers and butterflies with Copics and Faber Castell Albrecht Durer pencils

I nearly gave up on coloring this image for the first 7 days that I worked on it.  I can only color for about 10 minutes per day before my degenerated joints start hollering at me, so it takes me a loooooong time to color an image.  And this card was text-book “it looks like $&*@ until it suddenly doesn’t.”  Believe me, this image was looking really drab – the skies were too mustard rather than sunshiny and the flower on the left looked dull.  It wasn’t until I started coloring the purple flower that the image suddenly looked brighter.  It’s amazing how complimentary colors can make images pop!

Thanks, Alex, for giving me the opportunity to join you on your blog!

.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *